Saturday, July 3, 2010

My Journey Through the World of Smell

I have decided to embark on a journey through the world of smell. Smell is a powerful thing. As I write this, my cat is attacking a box of catnip and why?? Because it smells good! Smell has the ability to make you barf, give you butterflies, bring back memories, you name it. It can affect your mood in crazy ways. If you don't believe me, try standing outside during a rainstorm and tell me it doesn't feel fantastic. The smell of coffee in the morning when you're sleepy is like getting a whiff of God himself.
Based on this knowledge I've decided to start a sort of smell diary, using this blog. I don't want to go searching for smells so much as I want them to simply find me. I'm mainly interested in smells that are controversial or smells that I seem to like or dislike that no one else does. I'm also primarily focused on smells that I have a strong reaction to, since there are so many smells out there it would be impossible to record them all.
This experiment started as a result of a discussion with Ryan about how some boys smell really good, so this is where I decided to start my experiment. I contacted several boys who have memorable smells to me to see if maybe there was a certain spray or soap that I specifically am attracted to. Being boys, none of them were particularly helpful XP so I decided to take my research elsewhere.
I went to Target and smelled all of the men's soaps and deodorants that I could find to see which one I liked the best. I found out that Axe Chocolate smells the best, while Axe Instinct comes in a close second. Axe Shock made me want to barf, which is actually good news for the purpose of this experiment. Old Spice Swagger also smelled completely vile, but not as bad as Axe Shock. I discovered that I really don't like powdery scents either. I find them stuffy and gross and like baby butts and while I love babies, I'm not particularly fond of the rearmost parts of them.
I will keep updating further as my journey continues :)

No comments:

Post a Comment