Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Smell Journal #3

So apparently there's a disease called anosmia where people have no sense of smell and almost no sense of taste. How terrible would that be? I mean that both philosophically and literally. You would never have to put up with bad smells. But you would miss out on all those emotions that are linked to smell. I wonder how big of a part smell has in your attraction to other people. Would you even be physically attracted if you couldn't smell them? Maybe they smell bad, and you would more attracted to them. But you wouldn't have liked them otherwise. Your destiny could be changed because ou have no sense of smell! What if your house was on fire and you didn't know it because you couldn't smell it. Sounds sketchy to me. Sounds really sad to me. I absolutely love smelling things. Sometimes I sniff things just out of curiosity. When a boy smells good it makes me crazy. I can't imagine not being able to experience that. I live near the cereal plant and whenever they're making certain types of cereal it smells sooo good outside. I hope I never lose my sense of smell. I wonder what would happen. Would my personality change? Maybe I'm subconsciously so fixated on smell, I would be a whole different person without it. Maybe I'd be like, normal. Or something. Maybe I'd pay more attention to things. Maybe I would be braver. Or maybe I'd just be even more of a coward than I am now, without smell to motivate me. I wonder if I'll like the same smells when I'm older. What if I get nose cancer or something weird like that? Does that even exist? What if I break my nose? Will I still enjoy smelling things as much as I do now? What will my kids smell like? What will my husband smell like? What if I never have either of those? What if I never get to smell that smell? I think I'd be sad. I know I'd be sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment