Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Smell Journal #2

Today I learned that the part of the brain that processes smell is part of the limbic system which is in charge of our moods and memories and this is why smells can trigger just about any emotion or memory that we have stored in our subconscious. This makes me wonder if it would be possible to control the thoughts or actions of a human being simply by use of smell, or to at least influence them. I think everyone has probably at least heard of pheromones at some point in their life, smells that are particularly attractive to members of the opposite sex. Who's to say that this has to be limited to attraction? Lust, while a powerful emotion, is not the only feeling that people are concerned with. People are always searching for happiness, power, comfort, relief, you name it. What if there was some kind of "trigger smell" for every one of these emotions? I'm sure someone has thought of this before, and that same person probably invented aroma therapy. I'm hoping this experiment will help me to be able to create my own personalized aroma therapy based on the smells that affect me the most in the way I want them to affect me. I could learn to control my emotions in a sense, in a new way, other than just containing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment